What To Know About Car Accidents

Minnesota has no shortage of bad weather. Unfortunately, bad weather means an increase in automobile accidents. We recommend:

At The Accident Scene

  • If you can, photograph the cars' positions and damage.
  • Obtain identification and insurance information of other drivers.
  • If there are witnesses, ask for their contact information, and write down license plate numbers.
  • Cooperate with the police and first responders. Remember, however, that fault assessment might be based upon what is said at the accident scene.

As Soon As Possible

  • If you are injured, go to the nearest hospital's emergency department for a checkup. Follow up with your primary care physician and follow through with treatment recommendations.
  • You may not realize the extent of your injuries on the day of the accident. If symptoms become apparent or bothersome after the accident, see your primary care provider.
  • Call your insurance agent or auto insurer. You will be assigned a no-fault insurance claim number. Give this number to the medical providers for payment of your immediate medical expenses.

Dealing With Insurance

Car accidents trigger two types of insurance coverages.

  • No-fault insurance. If you are injured and a car is involved, even if you are a pedestrian or on a bike or in someone else's car, your own auto insurance must take care of your immediate medical expenses. No-fault insurance will pay up to $20,000 of medical and chiropractic expenses that are reasonable, necessary and caused by an auto accident. No-fault insurance pays medical expenses in full-no deductibles or co-pays.

    No-fault insurance also pays for wage loss. It isn't much-usually just $250 per week. If your injuries cause you to hire someone else to do household chores, no-fault insurance will reimburse those reasonable replacement expenses.

    You may be contacted by a no-fault insurance adjuster. You should cooperate by providing basic information about your injuries, treatment and missed work. You should fill out the no-fault benefits application form which your insurance company will use to process the medical and wage loss payments.
  • Liability insurance. Liability insurance is required in Minnesota. If the driver of another car injures you, the coverage on that car will pay for your injuries. If you are contacted by the other driver's insurance adjuster, you are not required to talk with the adjuster. If you do provide a recorded interview statement, it can be used to fight any future claims you might have. Insist that you are provided a copy of the recorded interview.

During The Recovery Period

  • As time goes on, you should photograph the changes in your physical recovery. They are invaluable months later when trying to explain how the accident injuries affected your life.
  • The most important thing you should do if injured in a car accident is to follow your doctor's advice. You will likely get better faster if you do so.

What To Know About Car Accidents

The information presented here is very general information. Each accident is different, and each person's needs and questions are different. Grannis & Hauge will be happy to put you immediately into contact with an experienced attorney who can answer your questions in more detail.

Mike Dwyer has been practicing personal injury/wrongful death and insurance law for over 30 years. He is often assisted by Ginny Dwyer, his partner and wife. We will be privileged to consult with you about your car accident injuries and explain in detail your right to seek compensation for those injuries. Call an experienced lawyer at 651-968-1296 or send an email.